Thursday, March 10, 2011

les araignee, et les beignets, et les reins...Oui-o! (Spiders, and Doughnuts, and Kidneys...Oh My!)



Alicia Typing…Just thought we would share our week with you.  We are missing everyone and since we cannot be there, we thought we would share some pictures as if you were here.  Enjoy :)
Look closely at the towel!
Zoomed in picture!


I was taking a shower this morning, and I think this "little" guy decided he would try to join me.  By "little," I mean huge spider was waiting on top of my towel.  I don't think this picture does the spider justice.  I believe it would have been about 5 inches across with its legs outstretched.  Thank God Dan decided to brush his teeth and saw the spider before I tried to grab my towel.  This was my little reality check that yes, we are indeed living in Africa.  Don't worry (mom!) because A. Dan killed the spider and B.  This spider is not poisonous :).  It makes you wonder when that spider got into our bathroom last night.  It kind of makes my skin crawl to think that these spiders a scurrying around at night when we are sleeping.  Just food for thought....

Yes! Those are doughnuts!
 Can you tell Dan was excited?  We were actually able to celebrate Fat Tuesday this year.  Dan MADE the doughnuts from scratch...and they were sooo good!  More on Dan, Dan, the Baker Man in later posts...

Pito wanted a picture of our French class...
This picture pretty much describes our lives this past month.  We are not in our usual classroom, since Pito has been coming to our house to teach us this week.  It has been nice to have a little extra time in our day (since traveling to and from French can take 2-3 hours roundtrip).  This picture is posed...in case you couldn't tell.   I am pretty sure we are looking at the word: “le reins” which is “kidney” in French.  haha.  Today we learned body parts and sicknesses (les maladies).  Best day in French EVER (at least for me that is.)  After this class, Dan made sure to ask Pito if we could have a day of learning about different tools.  Things like this remind me of how amazing God is to have put us together and how much we are compliments to each other. 

A la plage...

We have had some requests to post some sunny pictures to give hope to all those stuck in the snowy weather in the states.  We went to the beach in the afternoon on Wednesday to swim, rest, and study French.  Thought we would send a little sunshine your way...




That is all for now.   Please pray for safe travels this weekend as we head down to Bongolo again with the Straws. 

Love,
Alicia and Dan

6 comments:

  1. Im having fun following your adventure in Gabon. So glad to get to know you two! Bonne chance avec les Français!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have passed out seeing that spider thingy on my towel...ewwww

    This is Jasmine Wilson by the way... just stopping in to say HEEEEY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That spider is intense... yikes. Dan is a good guy for protecting you from that thing.

    You both look so happy in the photos - I love reading these updates! It is fun to see and read what you two are doing on the other side of the world.

    Sending lots of thoughts & prayers your way! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. That spider is SO huge and gross. Kudos for surviving that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have these spiders in our house too, do you know what kind of spider it is?
    Thankx

    ReplyDelete